Monday, June 27, 2011

Being the Ballerina



Well, as my blog implies, I am a ballerina. Since I was teeny tiny I have wanted nothing more. Every time music came on, I was moving. I tried other activities such as soccer, gymnastics, softball, and tennis. Every time I tried something it would seem fun at first, but I just wasn't satisfied. I kept returning to dance. When I was about nine years old, I began taking jazz, tap, and ballet classes. I fell in love with dancing, learning the french terms, the costumes, and performing.





Throughout my pre teen years I took some time away from sports and comepted in a couple pageants before returning. In the eighth grade, I became a Tigette. I was hooked. The drill team aspect was like nothing I'd ever had before. The other girls on the team became my second families. Of course we fought and had our ups and downs, but we learned so much. We grew as individuals, dancers, and young women. That year gave me a better foundation for my dancing itself. I can still do most of the routines and it's been years since I performed as a Tigette.





The following summer, I had private training for a pageant in Oklahoma City. A young woman from my church was a teacher a the Jasinski Academy, (yes, the famous Jasinski family!) and blessed me with 6 hours of private training. This was my first solo routine, and I performed to "Keys to the Kingdom" by Group 1 Crew. (By the way, Group 1 Crew is an amazing christian trio!) I won the tri state pageant title that year but was beat in the talent division due to lack of dance floor...





A few months later, I enrolled at Beautiful Feet Studios. My teacher is the beautiful Pam Arroyo, and has several years of training and performances under her belt. Her daughters dance as well, including her middle daughter who is a Union Highstepper. I have been dancing at her studio for over a year now and Miss Pam definately pushes me to be the best dancer I can be. Not only has she helped me break in pointe shoes, but she has trained me for my second solo routine and spring recital. In August of 2010 we began my signature solo: Glamorous. I preformed it in the talent portion of Miss BA 2011 in February. Then Pam and I taught my new dance partner the routine which we performed together at the spring recital. I also performed on pointe for the first time at recital.





I'll be the first to admit I'm still an amataure and I'm still learning, but I am very passionate about dance. The events listed above are just a few of what I've done. I've been in other talent shows, The Nutcracker, and other things as well. This summer I am rehearsing for the August performance of Sleeping Beauty and preparing my next competition routine. The picture credits above go to Kelsey Higley.





Being a ballerina is a lot of glitz and glamour, but it's also pain, perserverence, and intellegence. As my teacher says, "There is no such thing as a dumb ballerina." However, I love what I do and I pray that God gives me the strength and guidance to continue to dance for Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment